Client Overview & Challenge Presented:
The goal of the organization was to grow the business by obtaining additional supply fuel opportunities on construction projects, but were unable to be competitive with the larger and more established organizations. The owner sought assistance in how to become and leverage certification to grow the business.
Our Approach / Solution:
- Completed assessment and analysis of the organization’s structure and operations.
- Identified the certifications in alignment with the company’s needs and goals.
- Developed a plan outlining the requirements and timeline for obtaining Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program
- Provided counsel on how to best leverage the DBE certification through networking, resources, and by accessing opportunities.
- Provided training on compliance requirements on federally funded projects.
- Successfully obtained their first DBE opportunity to supply and deliver fuel from their blending facility in Columbus to a major road project in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- The DBE certification has lead to a new line of business for Benchmark Biodiesel. As a result of the DBE certification and by taking advantage of matchmaking opportunities hosted by ODOT, Benchmark Biodiesel has made several successful connections with construction companies who have become new customers.
- Certification and the successful utilization of the DBE certification took some time and dedication, but it was definitely worth the effort of pursuing.